Sunday, March 13, 2011

Hong Kong has wooed me once again


Back when Herbert Smith (a law firm, not a boy) was wooing me, I took an incredibly pricey trip to Hong Kong.  I stayed in the Mandarin Oriental, ate at all the fanciest restaurants, took trips to both Shenzhen and Macau, and generally lived the high life without having to spend a penny.  Not an easy trip to top, yet somehow we managed it…

It might have something to do with the fact that Caitlin, one of my best friends from law school, lives in Hong Kong with her husband and knows ALL the best places to go.  Or that I got to catch up with Jake Turner, the man who made my original Hong Kong trip such a success, and I still adore him as much as I did six years ago.  Or that I can fit into Caitlin’s clothes and opening her closets is sort of what I imagine heaven might look like.  But, whatever it was, Hong Kong could not have been a bigger success.

We had some amazing meals:  succulent Italian at 208, decadent fusion French at Joel Robuchon, fresh seafood in Sai Kung (we actually picked our food out of big tanks in front of the restaurant), Shanghai dumplings at Dragon-i and delicious Italian tapas at Enoteca.  Thank God for Caitlin’s clothes in most of these instances or I likely would have face-controlled the whole group at the door.




We also packed in a hike on Dragon’s Back (who knew Hong Kong had so much green space!)...






...stared in wonder at some of the crazy things being sold on the streets...






...bet on some horses at the Wednesday night races (Champagne Days and Gilded Flight let us down, unfortunately)...





...had Juan fitted for a proper suit...



...and generally got lost in the wonders of this vibrant city.

Hong Kong is officially on my list of places I’m willing to live in next.

No comments:

Post a Comment